Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Mama on the town

The Hubs is traveling this week, so it’s just me and Q-ball holding down the fort and trying not to sweat to death in this heat wave. I know I keep bragging about how great Hubs is, but he is seriously wonderful. So wonderful that I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to eat this week since he’s always in charge of dinner. For the first time, it’s just the kiddo and me for multiple days in a row.

A very dear friend took pity on me and insisted on baby-sitting Q for a couple hours on Monday night so I could have a break. I almost didn’t take her up on it. I told her that his “witching hour” started about 7:00, and it was very important to get his bedtime routine exactly right, and blah, blah, blah. I was scared to leave him with someone he didn’t know, someone who didn’t know how things were done at our house. My head filled with “what if’s,” and I tried to back out of it.
Then I regained my sanity.

Someone was offering me a break, for crying out loud! So what if Quinn didn’t go to bed exactly at 8:30? Worse things have happened. And, no, my friend won’t do things exactly the way I would do them, but that’s okay. She has two boys of her own, and she knows what she’s doing. So I took her up on her generous offer.

I felt like I needed to get ready, so I put on some eyeliner. Then… I didn’t know what else to do. I had forgotten how to “go out.” Then, the question became where does a new mom out on her own for the first time go from 7:30 to 9:30 on a Monday night? I certainly wasn’t going to sit in a bar by myself. The thought of sitting somewhere and writing my blog in peace became very appealing, so I looked for places that would let me post up with my laptop for a while. (I almost went to the gym, can you believe it?)

Another friend suggested that I put on some hot jeans, red lipstick and high heels. While I loved the thought of being gussied up, I thought that be too much for a night of peaceful blogging. So I settled for a comfy Old Navy skirt, chapstick and flip-flops. I know, I’m wild.

I actually did end up sitting in a bar by myself. I went to Elephant Bar where Hubs, Q and I go every week for date night. The staff knows me there, so I felt comfortable sitting alone, and it was the only place I could think of that would be open past 8:00. Plus, I had a coupon for a free appetizer, so there you go.

Yep, flip-flops, my laptop and a coupon. That’s what my big night out consisted of. But that’s what I wanted, a couple hours all to myself to blog. I completed the QWA post for this week, as well as three other posts that have been taking up space in my head. (It feels good to get them out and make room for other things in my brain so I can stop losing my cell phone. On Sunday, I found it in the bottom of the hamper. Yeah, I have no idea.)

Oh, and I had a glass of wine. That was nice, too.

Today is day three of just Mommy and Quinn, and the hotter-than-Hades temperatures have tested my resourcefulness. My poor kid can’t nap in this heat, so he stays awake almost all day, leaving me with no extra limbs to get anything done. So yesterday I gave up trying to get anything accomplished, and we went to the mall for a couple hours to enjoy some free A/C. Quinn took a short nap in his stroller while I read my book. Yes, I’m now that lady sitting in the mall reading a book.

On another note, we’re off to Michigan on Friday for the Quinn Showcase Tour. My side of the family and some friends will get to meet Q for the first time. I’m a little nervous about Q’s first plane ride. Okay, more than a little nervous. It’s going to be a long week, so I might not have much time to write. But when we get back, the QWA will be worth the read.